If you’re a health professional who sees clients who have addictive disorders, consider joining us October 10-11 at the 2014 Addiction Medicine Continuing Education course, to be held at the Revere Hotel in Boston. Whether you treat these clients’ addictive behavior yourself, or just want to know how co-occurring addictive behavior will affect your treatment plans, Addiction Medicine is for you. This year’s course highlights the interconnected nature of physical and psychological health conditions, including multiple expressions of addiction. Michael Botticelli, recently nominated to be director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, will provide the Keynote Address: A Drug Policy for the 21st Century.†
Do you work in primary care? You might be especially interested in these talks:
- Patrick G. O’Connor, MD, MPH, FACP will discuss The Expanding Role of Primary Physicians in the Treatment of Addiction.
- Jeffrey Samet, M.D., M.A., M.P.H. will discuss Integration of Pharmacological Addiction Treatment within Primary Care.
Curious about the neurobiology of addiction? Dr. Bertha Madras will provide an overview of brain systems involved in addiction and its treatment.
Do you provide care to veterans? Learn from Dr. John Renner of the VA Boston Healthcare System, who will discuss Treating Multiple Expressions of Addiction among Veterans.
Do you provide care to clients struggling with addiction during pregnancy? Amy R. Sommer, LICSW, will speak on Pregnancy and Families Impacted by Addiction.
Concerned about how gambling expansion will affect your clients? Unsure how to treat clients struggling with gambling problems and other conditions? You’ll be especially interested in these presentations:
- Jeffrey L. Derevensky, Ph.D. will speak on Screening & Brief Intervention of Gambling Disorder amongst Youth.
- Marc N. Potenza, Ph.D., M.D. will describe Neurobiology & Pharmacological Treatment of Gambling Disorder.
- Mark J. Albanese, M.D. and Debi A. LaPlante, Ph.D. will describe Taking CHARGE:
Preparing Addiction Specialists and Other Healthcare Providers for Expanded Gambling Opportunities.
- Victor Ortiz, M.S.W., L.A.D.C. I, C.A.D.C. II will discuss Co-occurring Conditions and Ways for Non-specialists to Provide Coordinated Care for Gambling and Other Mental Health Issues.
- Howard J. Shaffer, Ph.D., C.A.S, will speak on Considering the Syndrome Model of Addiction and its Implications for Treatment.
Other national experts will describe best addiction treatment practices for adolescents (Dr. Traci Brooks) and for people with co-occurring chronic pain (Dr. Daniel Alford), mood disorders (Dr. Dominic Ciraulo), and ADHD (Dr. Timothy Wilens).
Click here to register. Please note: A limited number of rooms have been reserved at Revere Hotel (call or email Leah Rice, Reservations Specialist at 617-457-2683 or email@example.com). Please specify that you are enrolled in this course.
This activity is supported, in part, by an educational grant from the National Center for Responsible Gaming.
† This lecture is not designated for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ or any other credit this course offers.